Want to lead a ride? It's easy!
- Post to the email list (preferably a couple days before the ride, but we've been known to post spur-of-the-moment rides):
- When are you starting?
- From where are you starting?
- How far will you go?
- About how fast / hard do you plan to go?
- Any useful information about the route that you think riders might want: Is there a monster hill on the route? Are there any stretches with gravel? Are there spots to refill water bottles if it's a long ride? Etc.
- Example:"Subject: Sunday Social Ride, 27 miles, 13 Nov at 2 PM
The planned route is down to Kentland Farm:
Social pace of 10-13 mph as needed by the group. No one gets dropped. No one gets left behind. All are welcome and wanted. More talking and joking than determined riding. Faster folks are welcome but you'll have to wait to let us catch up at the few major intersections or finish without us.
Meet in the parking lot of the Blacksburg Community Center (just below the pool); leaving at 2:00 PM:
Hope to see you there!"
- Print out the Ride Waiver Sheet; bring it to the start of the ride with a pen. Fill out the top and sign your name as the first rider.
- Show up a few minutes early. Have your fellow riders fill out and sign the waiver sheet. Riders must be wearing a helmet and must sign. Say hello and tell them the plan: make sure you're all expecting the same things.
- Ride and have fun!
- Repeat and take advantage of the Ride Leader Incentive program below.
If you have questions, please contact our Ride Coordinator. We have a lot of well-practiced ride leaders who can help you out.
Ride Leader Incentives
The NRVBA offers a number of incentives to members who regularly lead rides. You can earn these benefits when you meet all of the following conditions. If you:
- are an NRVBA member
- lead at least 12 rides during a rolling 12 month period
- post your ride to the listserv at least 48 hours before the ride
- have at least two people participate in the ride
- Full registration for Mountains of Misery
- $50 toward entry to any cycling event
- $50 Downtown Merchants Gift Certificate/local merchant gift certificate
- $50 Gift Card to a local bike shop
- a club jersey may be selected (when available)
Save your ride waiver sheets that people sign at the start of the ride. Contact the NRVBA once you've met the conditions above.